Some thoughts after about a week of using React Native to rewrite Epilogue. It’s going well and has been fun to work in a new framework, knowing that it’s going to contribute to our long-term plan for mobile apps in Micro.blog. It’s not a throw-away distraction.
I got pretty far into development over the last week even though I barely understood some of the React features I was using, like
useState. That’s okay. After I ship Epilogue 1.1, I’m going to go back and clean up a few things.
App file sizes are bigger, but not enough to matter. Epilogue 1.0 was a tiny 0.5 MB, and my latest build of Epilogue 1.1 is 2.7 MB. A much more full-featured app, Gluon for Micro.blog, is 8.6 MB. This appears to be a non-issue.
React Native is not new. It’s nice not to be on the cutting edge, because by now every problem I’m likely to run into has been solved. Some things I thought might be hard were easy enough, like handling the
epilogue:// custom URL scheme.
I’ve collected all the blog posts in this series in a category on my blog.
Conversation on Micro.blog